Monday, December 7, 2009

A New Favorite Bulk Recipe - Poppy Seed Pound Cake Muffins

I have always enjoyed cooking. I love the benefits it give both to my pocket book and my waist line. What I haven't enjoyed lately, though, is my lack of TIME to cook... Between Bekah, Piano Teaching, and other life activities, I just don't have the time to prepare meals that I once did.

So, the beginning of October I've been working on preparing meals in bulk and freezing them so we can enjoy home cooked, wallet friendly meals quickly and easily. I spent one day with friends in October preparing a ridiculous amount of meals. Since then I've made many batches of soups that I've frozen in individual containers for our lunches (sandwiches don't cut it when it's below 50 degrees...) and put together a few meals where I cooked 1/2 or 1/3 of it and froze the rest for later use.

Well, today I'm on my second batch of Poppy Seed Pound Cake Muffins (making a triple batch each time!). This recipe is rather easy, incredibly tasty, and not too terrible ingredient wise!

2 c Flour
1 T Poppy Seeds
1/2 t Salt
1/4 t Baking Soda
1 c Sugar
1/2 c Butter
2 Eggs
1 c Plain Yogurt (or vanilla, or lemon, or raspberry...)
1 t Vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a small bowl, combine flour, poppy seeds, salt, and baking soda.
In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in yogurt and vanilla until well blended.
Stir in flour mixture until evenly moistened.
Spoon into greased muffin tins and bake 15-20 minutes.

You can eat these fresh from the oven or freeze them (I prefer using gallon sized ziplock type bags for freezing these over other methods). I like the better from the freezer - they get a little more dense. Mike likes them better fresh. Bekah eats them like crazy no matter if they were frozen or fresh!

No comments: