Friday, February 15, 2008

Research

Okay, I did some quick research and found out the following:

Body Fat % for me should be between 26-30%, so I've got a ways to go, but I'm on the right track. This is more important to look at then weight since my body parts actually weigh a certain amount and I wouldn't want to get too low! The website I found on this gave me many confusing equations, and since I'm not great with math I'm just going with the fact that I'm on the right track - downwards!

Body Water % - I found this helpful - The largest component of the body is water. Water makes up between 45 and 75% of body weight, with the variability due primarily to differences in body fat. While most tissues including muscle, skin, and visceral organs are over 70% water, adipose tissue contains less than 10% water. The percentage of body weight that is water therefore varies inversely with body fat. In the average lean adult male around 60% of the body weight is water. The remaining body weight consists of 16-18% fat with 22-24% protein, carbohydrate and other solids. In the female the percentage of body weight that is water is lower due to a relatively greater amount of subcutaneous fat.

BMR - Your BMR, or basal metabolic rate (metabolism), is the energy (measured in calories) expended by the body at rest to maintain normal bodily functions. This continual work makes up about 60-70% of the calories we use ("burn" or expend) and includes the beating of our heart, respiration, and the maintenance of body temperature. Your BMR is influenced by a number of factors, including age, weight, height, gender, environmental temperature, dieting, and exercise habits.

As far as muscle mass is concerned - muscle burns fat, fat just is fat... The more muscle you have the less fat you have and the less fat you'll acquire since the muscle will be eating the fat... Guess that one made sense!

Now you too can understand your body and even figure out your fitness level, goals, and needs :) Aren't you excited?!?!

No comments: