Sunday, February 12, 2012

Recipe Re-vamp


Since regularity isn't always so... regular at our house, finding ways to get healthy oils and lots of fiber into our bodies seems to be pretty important! I know we all need more fiber and DHA than we normally get and since I'd rather add them in through our food than through supplements (although Mike and I do take Cod Liver Oil...) I've been experimenting with flax seed - I purchased a box of Hodgson Golden Milled Flax Seed a few weeks ago and have been adding it into our foods...

...1/4 t mixed into Sofie's baby cereal
... 1/2 t sprinkled on Bekah's PB sandwiches
... 1 t mixed into my Malt-o-Meal

This morning I decided to give it a try in an actual recipe (as a substitution for some of the fat) and it worked pretty well! I also changed up the flour from all basic white flour to half whole wheat. Although the muffins are a little more "bready" than normal, they're still really tasty and have a few health benefits included in them now that they didn't before!

Here's my Revamped Poppyseed Poundcake Muffins Recipe

2 c flour all purpose flour
2 c whole wheat flour
2 T poppy seeds
1 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
2 c sugar
14 T butter (2 sticks, one with 2 T cut off)
6 T ground flaxseed
4 eggs
2 c Vanilla yogurt (want to use greek next time - didn't today)
2+ t vanilla

Preheat oven to 400
Combine flour, poppyseeds, salt, and baking soda in a small bowl
In a large bowl cream butter, flaxseed, sugar
Beat in eggs one at a time
Beat in yogurt and vanilla until well blended
Stir in flour mixture until moistened (THICK batter!!!!)
Spoon into muffin tins
Bake 15-20 minutes (16 mins is perfect in my oven!)
Makes a BIG batch (3-4 dozen depending on the size of your muffins). They freeze really well after baked - thaw overnight and you've got a tasty breakfast!

Yummy!!

How have you made little changes with big benefits in your kitchen?

No comments: